Sunday, March 16, 2008

Blog 2: The Story of Stuff

1. Annie says that an important thing missing from the conventional textbook story of the materials economy is people. Some people have the most say in how this system runs. Others are the most affected by the loss of natural resources and pollution.

So, where are you in this system and where would you want to be? What options do you have, from where you sit, to change the system to support sustainability and justice?


From a consumer point of view, it is hard to get out of the habit of convenience. Hunger hits you, grab the nearest fast food place or vendor or snack at the corner store--instead of making a meal at home and preparing lunch or dinner ahead of time.. The fact that the US consumes so much of the natural resources makes a consumer like me, feel like there's always going to be a surplus of an item or resource, tomorrow. such careless disregard for conserving our resources is displayed with the amount of ads alone that the major cities put up on display every month.

For me, I am most definitely a consumer in the system. I, also, have a hard time remembering to conserve sometimes, but do so more consciously than i did a few years ago. Conserving water, electricity, and paper is a big deal to me. Options that i may have include just making people more aware, using enviroment-friendly and chemical free products at home, and just overall taking that extra step to improve my way of life without hurting the enviroment as well as those around me.

There is no if ands or buts when it comes to trying to make a difference in a system that is run on the foundation of making money rather than saving the planet---you either do what it takes, or you don't. Many will not realize this ultimatum's validity until it is too late. It is not written in stone that consumers will change, but one can hope that they will educate the next generations to follow so that they are more prepared to endure and cure our misguided choices

4 comments:

lisa said...

Hey Jan Michael,
I whole heartedly agree with you. Education is the way to go for ourselves to educate future generations because the cycle of ignorance has to be broken sometime. Thats what these corrperations depend on is the ignorance of the masses because than we are easily manipulated.

NancyP said...

i agree with you...is true that sometimes is easy to grab something on the street but at the same time is hard to find the time...i wish i could take to school food from my house but i dont really have that much time...but i guess we should learn how to find time for everything

christina said...

Hi I was told to evaluate your blog which I don’t like to do because everyone is different and do things differently but I just want to say I like the content of your blog you seen very intelligent and you’re aware of the issues and ways we can help. You seem down to earth like me and I like that. Your format is good with the spacing of your paragraphs and your vocabulary is good. The only too thing I can say to improve your blog is you should add some spice to your blog, ex. Pictures, slide shows, videos ect. And your class links I see you have some as names and some as the whole link, maybe you should pick one way of how you want to show your class links and stick to it. But overall I like your blog :)

Debbie said...

Micheal,

you only have twenty names on your blog I believe you are missing a few. secondly, when I open your blog the color blinds me. I think it is too bright. your picture is nice however it could have been bigger. tone your background down a bit and consider pputting more photos on your blog.